If you were to believe the stereotypes on social media, avocado on toast is the nutritional battle cry of the millennial generation. You can see it being served everywhere and aside from making a supposedly ideal meal for an Instagram story update, there is quite a good argument to be made for its inclusion in our diets.
In my recipe, I tried to add a few ingredients to make it even more nutritious (and I think taste better as well!). Avocados themselves are a great source of monounsaturated fats, fibre and folate, while the chillies provide the fat-burning capsaicin shot. To top it off, there is a splash of Vitamin C-containing lemon juice and a bit of garlic with all its anti-cancer properties.
The resulting paste keeps in the fridge very well (as long as a whole week!) and tastes amazing on a wholegrain toast. I like to have it with a bit of hummus, olives and feta, spinach as well as a bit of chive. I do hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do!
- 2 ripe avocados with the stone removed
- 2 mild chillies without seeds, roughly chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, roughly chopped
- freshly squeezed juice of half a lemon
- 100 mL of water
- a pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- add the water, garlic, chillies, lemon juice and salt first (to make the blending easier)
- add the avocados
- blend until the paste is completely smooth
- enjoy with toast, scrambled eggs or even as a burger topping!